Due to the continued expansion of our UK manufacturing sites and the launch of our sustainability strategy, to become a net zero business by 2027, we’re adding the role of KTP Associate in Thermochemical Recycling of Plastic to our team on a 24-month contract.
Alpha Solway Ltd is a leading manufacturer of Personal Protective Equipment. Due to the continued expansion of our UK manufacturing sites and the launch of our sustainability strategy, to become a net zero business by 2027, we’re adding the role of KTP Associate in Thermochemical Recycling of Plastic to our team on a 24-month contract.
We’re keen to hear from candidates to work at our Alpha Solway factory in Dumfries, Scotland, with travel to and from Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh during the experimental phase of the project.
By partnering Heriot Watt university with our Alpha Solway Dumfries manufacturing site, we are looking for academic support in building innovative strategies to make manufacture and distribution processes more sustainable.
As KTP Associate, you’ll be required to participate in a collaborative project to design and develop a bespoke process for thermo-chemical recycling of PPE waste, enabling selective production of high value chemicals. It will involve a review of Company Business and PPE waste Market and Technologies; Understanding of PPE catalytic pyrolysis at bench scale and process conditions optimisation; Pilot scale plant design; System Testing and Optimisation; Techno economic assessment of proposed process; Preparation for Commercialisation of Pyrolysis Technique and Finalisation.
If your application is successful, the Project objectives will include:
1.Review of Company Business and PPE waste Market and Technologies
2.Understanding of PPE catalytic pyrolysis at bench scale and process conditions optimisation
3.Pilot scale plant design
4.System Testing and Optimisation
5.Techno economic assessment of proposed process
6.Preparation for Commercialisation of Pyrolysis Technique and Finalisation
The position carries considerable responsibility. The Associate will report directly to the senior management team, therefore good presentation and communication skills are also desirable. Some of the projects will involve working with clients and customers of the company in various locations, which will require strong interpersonal skills.
In return, the position offers the Associate the following benefits:
- a planned programme of training courses
- the support and resources of the University
- a challenging and rewarding job, with real responsibility
- the potential for good career development with the company at the end of the scheme
- the possibility of registering for a higher degree with the University
- the opportunity to make important and tangible improvements in a small but dynamic company
- competitive pay and working conditions
Education, Qualifications and Experience
Candidates should have an MEng degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or a closely related subject. A PhD degree in a relevant discipline would be advantageous. Along with: Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of process design Demonstrable knowledge in chemical kinetics and reactors design.
- Minimum of 1 year's relevant work experience.
- A good first degree (2.i hons minimum) in Chemical/Process Engineering or equivalent
- Excellent written communication skills, ability to produce professional standard reports.
- Excellent personal, interpersonal and presentational skills.
- Excellent research skills and ability to handle qualitative data.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changes in the work programme.
- Ability to organise meetings and liaise with multiple stakeholders.
- Excellent computer skills including Word processing, spreadsheets, databases and presentation software.
- Ability to think logically, create solutions and make informed decisions.
- A high level of numeracy and the ability to interpret data.
- Experience of product/process development.
- Understanding of waste management hierarchy and legislation.
Candidates should have good motivational skills, experience of team and project working in a multi-disciplinary environment. Ability to work on own initiative and be able to plan and prioritise work. Well organised, attention to detail and ability to meet tight deadlines. An interest in staying with the Company. (Associates are normally invited to apply for permanent positions.) Ability to influence people effectively. Tenacious and committed to achieving goals.
- Experience of working in a plastic processing/recycling.
- Experience in relevant analytical techniques (e.g. TGA, GC-MS).
- Experience of relevant software such as Aspen Plus, Autocad, HSC Chemistry.
- Good understanding of ISO140001 & ISO500001